Salary research relevant to the industry and type of position you're pursuing is a critical part of the job search process. Many factors affect compensation, including the following:
- Type of employer
- Salary range established by the company for the position
- Your current compensation
- Company size
- Benefits offered
- Corporate philosophy
- Competition in the field
- Geographic location
- The skill set you bring to the job
To the extent possible, find information that correlates with your education and experience level. Also, be sure to:
- Consider cost of living when comparing positions in different geographic areas.
- Look for similar job listings that mention salary range.
- Review business and trade journals, and contact professional associations.
- Ask your networking contacts what their companies pay employees with your experience